If you are over 40, you can access the university by providing evidence of your work or professional experience related with the bachelor's degree, as long as you do not have any academic qualification that prepares you for university via another pathway.
The university admissions process for over-40s is held once year and applications may be made for one Catalan university study centre only.
You can pre-enrol/enrol on university admissions portal from 15 to 28 February 2018.
- You must be 40 years old in the calendar year in which you apply to the university.
- You must not be in possession of a qualification which allows them to attend university via other entrance pathways.
- You must have accredited work or vocational experience related to the university bachelor’s degree course on which you would like to be admitted.
Admission for over-40s is divided into two phases:
1. Assessment phase of accredited experience: on the basis of the information and documentation presented, the candidate will complete the enrolment.
2. Personal interview phase: the university will provide information on the date and time of the personal interview via the channels it deems appropriate (web, notice board, etc.).
As the university may have established its own assessment criteria for each phase, this should be verified by checking each university website.
Phase results and final mark: the assessment results from each phase and the final mark will be made public by the universities. Each university will establish the dates on which they will publish the results
The admissions process for over-40s is held once a year and applications may be made for one Catalan university study centre only. The successfully completed admissions process is only valid for entrance in the academic year immediately following. As such, should the candidate with to enter university in later years, he or she will have to repeat the admissions process.
For the 2018 application process, if you wish to gain entrance to Rovira i Virgili University (URV), Ramon Llull University (URL), the Open University of Catalonia (UOC), the International University of Catalonia (UIC) or Abat Oliba University CEU (UAO) via the entrance pathway for over-40s, you should enrol directly at the university you wish to attend and within the established deadline. Candidates should consult the corresponding university website.
If, through the entrance pathway for over-40s, you wish to enter the University of Barcelona (UB), the Autonomous University of Barcelona (UAB), the Polytechnic University of Catalonia (UPC), Pompeu Fabra University (UPF), the University of Lleida, University of Girona (UdG) and the University of Vic–Central University of Catalonia (UVic-UCC), you have to complete enrolment on university admissions portal following the instructions described in the section on pre-enrolment/enrolment (UB, UAB, UPC, UPF, UdL, UdG and UVic-UCC).
If you want to enter these universities, complete your pre-enrolment/enrolment on Accesnet, from 15 to 28 February 2018. Access may be requested to one study centre only.
Fees, discounts and exemptions
For the 2018 sitting, the registration fees for the university entrance exams for over-40s are €95.25 .
The Government of Catalonia's legislation on fees and public prices for 2018, pending approval.
A 50% rebate is set for the cost of the tax for individuals who are members of 'general category' large and single-parent families. The accreditation: valid card issued by the Catalan Ministry of Labour, Social Affairs and Families or the corresponding body in their Autonomous Community.
The following groups are exempt from paying the university enrolment fees (100% discount):
- Members of ‘special category’ large and single-parent families. The accreditation: valid card issued by the Catalan Ministry of Labour, Social Affairs and Families or the corresponding body in their Autonomous Community.
- People with a recognised degree of disability of 33% or more. The accreditation: valid card or certificate accrediting your level of disability issued by the Catalan Ministry of Labour, Social Affairs and Families or the corresponding body in the Autonomous Community, or proof that they are in receipt of a Social Security pension.
- Students aged 65 years or older. The accreditation: ID document.
- Victims of acts of terrorism, their spouses and children. The accreditation: certificate issued by the Ministry of Home Affairs.
- Victims of gender violence and their dependent children. The accreditation: the court ruling.
Candidates registering via Accesnet must pay for the exams by following the instructions found on the same website at the moment of registration.
The obligatory documentation is that specified below. It is advisable to consult the website of the university to which you have requested admission in order to see, if applicable, the specific requirements regarding the documents to be submitted.
These documents should be submitted in the registration period, as follows:
- If you come in person, present the original and a photocopy of your documents to the University Admissions Office and its sub-offices.
- If you send the document by ordinary or certified post, you must include a certified photocopy of all of the documents. YOU CANNOT SEND THIS BY EMAIL ADDRESS.
- Documents written in a language other than Catalan or Spanish must be accompanied by the corresponding sworn translation.
- The university may request additional information once the enrolment period is finished.
- Enrolment voucher.
- Original and photocopy of the national identity card (DNI), residency card (NIE) or passport.
- Documentation, if applicable, accrediting eligibility to receive a tax rebate or exemption (under current legislation).
- Expository letter on why the candidate is interested in the particular bachelor’s degree course selected (maximum two pages).
- Curriculum vitae with photograph. For each merit of the CV (work experience, training, languages, etc.) indicate the number of the accrediting document that is submitted. For example: administrative assistant at X company. Contracted from January 2004 to December 2005 (document no. 4). The achievements listed on the CV must be accredited in order to be evaluated.
- Numbered list of all the documentation submitted on work or vocational experience and education. Each document must be marked with the number corresponding to the list provided.
How to accredit work or vocational experience related to the bachelor’s degree
This is accredited by providing the contract or appointment (with actual functions) and official certification of the period of contribution to the general Spanish social security system, or by any other means which serve as accreditation:
- Certificate of employment record from the General Treasury of the Spanish Social Security (original and photocopy).
- Work contracts (original and photocopy).
- Certificate from the company specifying the functions carried out (original and photocopy).
For cases where the worker was self-employed or freelance, certification of the contribution periods, in the corresponding special system, from the General Treasury of the Spanish Social Security, describing the activity carried out and over what period of time (original and photocopy).
How to accredit studies or training related to the university bachelor's degree course chosen
Studies or training received are accredited with the corresponding course certificate, which must indicate the title, course duration and duration in hours (original and photocopy).
If necessary, you may submit any other documents that you consider to be relevant, such as:
- Documentation accrediting knowledge of Catalan.
- Documentation accrediting knowledge of a third language.
Each university will publish its bachelor’s degrees on offer that can be accessed via the entrance pathway for over-40s. The course offering for the 2018 call in universities managed by University Admissions Office can be consulted at the following link:
Once you have completed the pre-enrolment/enrolment procedure for admission to the university (application for a place) and you have passed the test for over-40s (personal interview), you do not have to complete any other procedures. The allocation of places will be published on university admissions portal, according to the calendar for place allocation established for university pre-enrolment 2018.
1% of the places on the bachelor’s degree courses offered by the universities are reserved for candidates who have gained admission via this entrance pathway. Places are allocated according to the overall mark obtained.
It is advisable to consult the web page of the university you are interested in that has information on admission for over-40s with accredited work or vocational experience (specifics of the documentation, study centres available for this entrance pathway, qualifications, etc.).
University of Vic - Central University of Catalonia: